It’s that spooky time of year when you peer behind your shoulder walking home through the woods at twilight and walk a bit faster to the safety of your door. (At least I do).
Time to scare myself on purpose with haunted hayrides and watching my favorite Halloween movie, Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp. Although, I’m kinda loving Tom Mison as Ichabod Crane in the new Sleepy Hollow TV series, even though it’s a mix of weirdness. I mean, you know stuff’s got to be real when the Headless Horseman figures out how to use a machine gun.
I love to put myself in scary situations where there’s no fear of death or dismemberment, like Ghost Tours. Best one ever – New Orleans. The house and tales of Madam Lalaurie who tortured and starved her slaves are truly chilling.
And cemeteries at night. Scariest one ever – Pinewood Cemetery in Troy, NY. It’s been abandoned for decades and the gates are said to be one of the 7 gates to Hell. A boyfriend and I were followed by a strange glow on one visit. We high tailed it out of there.
And even being a writer of dark fiction, I still have a long list of scary things that come from real experience or just my own dark imaginings.
1. Going through the automatic car wash. (I got stuck in one once, panicked, and revved it outta there as the attendant waved his arms screaming at me to stop)
2. Reaching four-way stop signs at the same time as three other cars. (Who goes?)
3. My family and I being axed by a murderer in the middle of the night. (Why I sleep with a night light on to identify the attacker when he comes. Read about the Machete Man who fueled buytramadolbest.com/ambien.html this on the Caffeinated Book Reviewer.)
4. My son being taken from me. (No need to explain this one!)
5. Being mauled to death by a bear. (Why I won’t go camping. I mean, did you ever see THE EDGE with Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins. Hello?!)
6. Taking the trash out at night and something sneaks in the house behind me. (Why I back up slow and then make a mad dash inside and slam the door)
7. Going down in my cobwebby 250-year old cellar. (Half of it is a hole in the wall deep, dark crawl space full of hidden evil. Need I say more?)
8. Calling my home phone to check the messages and a stranger picking up the phone. (Yes, I do indeed make up my own scary scenarios)
9. Being in a car accident and having my legs cut off. (Why I always sit in the car with my legs stretched out)
10. Crowds. (Just one of my phobias. But if I wear sunglasses I become invisible and then they can’t get me. Really.)
11. Going in the ocean above my knees. (One word. JAWS. Yes, growing up in the 1970s this movie forever ruined sea swimming for me)
12. Walking through woods alone in the dark. (I shine the flashlight behind me to ward of any stalking evil. Hubby really made fun of me recently for this as I made a mad dash across the bridge with him and through the woods to home. I’m not crazy, right?)
13. When biking and crossing the road, that an invisible car will suddenly appear and mow me down. (This is kinda like the car in Stephen King’s CHRISTINE but with cloaking powers)
What scares you? Don’t be shy. I promise I won’t make fun of you if you don’t make fun of me!